Thursday, December 3, 2009

Notre Dame refusing to go to a bowl game?

I have just recently read an article in the Chicago Tribune about how Notre Dame is essentially refusing to play in a bowl game. Since the departure of coach Charlie Wies, the players have had the choice of playing in a minor bowl game, or not playing at all. Apparently, playing in the Dec. 26 Little Caesars Pizza Bowl in Detroit or the Jan. 6 GMAC Bowl in Mobile is not good enough for Notre Dame standards.

I am not a Notre Dame fan, but I do enjoy when they put up a good record. I also like watching players like Golden Tate and Jimmy Clausen. It makes it fun to root against them, even though I respect their program.

I did though have a problem with the players coming to an agreement that they are going to refuse to go to a bowl game. Who do these players think they are? They are not in a position to be denying a bowl game that they think they are too good for.

The Irish are 6-6, not a good record, but technically it allows them to be eligible for a bowl game. Which in my opinion is already a sham. Other than their win against Hawaii in the Hawaii bowl last year, they had not won a bowl game since 1994 in the Cotton Bowl. Notre Dame is an elite organization, they always will be, but they are hardly an elite team now.

I do hope that when they do find a new coach, he teaches his players not to be above the game. Knowing Notre Dame, I'm sure that's not going to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment